Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Purification Interview

I thought I'd post two more of the interviews from our first issue of It's Still Ok Not To Drink for people to read.
This one was with Italian Vegan Straight Edge old men Purification, they have a new full length out later in the year and a South American tour so be sure to check that out.
If you like what you read you can pick up a copy at www.waitingonrevolutiondistro.bigcartel.com

Hey, first off could you introduce yourself and what you do in Purification?
 My name is Andrea (a.k.a. Monster), I am the guitar player and main song-writer. I am also the founding member that gave the name to the band.

Could you describe what Purification sounds like to someone who’s never heard you? And could you also describe your message?
 Well we started in 1996 when the “hybrid” of music called metal-core was just surfacing. I think that we were a good mix of metal and hxc elements, and throughout our lyrics we promote a cruelty and drug free lifestyle.

How did you come to decide on reforming the band again now?
 We felt the urge of having a militant vegan sxe band back on the map since this is what the hxc scene is missing nowadays; we saw too many bands now with meaningless lyrics and a lack of attitude.
This was the mean reason we decided to reform the band, plus we miss the touring life and the chance to travel the world and have some fun.

Since this is a straight edge zine, I have to ask how long have you been straight edge? And what motivated you to want to walk this path?
 I’ve been sxe for two decades (I’m almost 37 now), and vegan since the age of 17/18. My main motivation back in the day to become sxe was to emancipate myself from the “environment” I was witnessing everyday, being a student of a private high school for middle-high class kids I was surrounded by a bunch of drug addicts, party people and heavy drinkers, I was horrified by the moral degeneration that was going on around me.
  
And what helps keep your edge sharp after all these years?
 Well, I think that as I became older, it just made me more mature and critical about my beliefs, reinforcing my faith and discipline.

What were your major influences when you started the band?
 Definitely Vegan Reich, Raid and Earth Crisis. Those bands had a huge influence on our attitude and sound.

Have they changed over time, and if so what are they now?
 They are the same nowadays for sure.

Seeing as though the band started in 1996, can you tell us about the changes you’ve personally witnessed throughout your time as a band, both in the music scene and the people who come to see you play?
 There’s a huge difference since back in the 90s. Kids were more aware about veganism and sxe because they were the popular issues of that time. Whereas now, everything seems to be more oriented on the musical part of it and less on the lyrics and attitude.
Honestly, we stopped playing shows in 2004 so now that we’re back I have no idea of what I should expect, but I’m curious to find out. ;-)

You were a band that was never shy to talk about what you believe in, do you still hold the same views or have things changed over time?
 Our beliefs are the same since day one seeing as they were the foundations of the band, but of course now that we are in our late 30s we have a more critical approach to the whole vegan sxe movement. Let’s say that we’re not here anymore to “convert” people to the vegan-edge lifestyle. When we were younger we felt like we were on a mission but right now I know that we can just show people that a different and compassionate lifestyle is possible, but at the end you can’t force your opinion down the throats of people.

A few other older bands are starting up again now, for example Earth Crisis put out a killer new cd and Vegan Reich are meant to be rehearsing for a new album, what do you think of this?
 I’m happy about it because those bands are not only our influences but also good friends of our. Honestly I’m not a big fan of the last EC cd, though that it’s a pretty solid release ;-) and I can’t wait to see what Vegan Reich will come up with.

You’ve been a band for a long time now. What have your favourite bands to see or play with?
 Back in the days we played lot of times with our buddies in Reprisal. We shared some hilarious moments with them. ;-) They are for sure the band we enjoyed sharing the stage with most.

How’s the Italian scene in respect to veganism and vegetarianism?
 I think that politically there’s still a bunch of people that are working their asses off to promote it, as well as good organizations involved with animal and human liberation. But of course we’re talking about a very small niche, sad but true…

What kind of legacy if any would you like to leave as a band?
 From Russia to Brazil, from Japan to USA and Europe, there’s people from all over the world that still listen to our music, or wear our shirts or have our “iconography” tattooed on their bodies. That shows clearly that our legacy lives on and on.

 Any shout outs or bands we should check out?
 I would suggest you to listen to the “classics” from the 90s (EC, Vegan Reich, Abnegation, Day of Suffering, Raid, etc.) since any modern hxc since then is a big cesspool of crap in my opinion ;-)


And why after all this time are you still drawn to hardcore?
 Honestly I’m still asking myself about it. I mean I’m too old to be driving for hours in a rusty van and sleeping in the same crappy sleeping bag for years, playing shows for few bucks etc. But at the end, this is what I love the most and I won't trade it for anything else ;-)
Hxc has been a huge part of my life and I feel that it will continue to be!


Thx for the interview and for more info about us feel free to check:


Or get in touch via mail:



-----------------------------------
Andrea Campanelli
PURIFICATION - guitar player


No comments:

Post a Comment